Wednesday 16 October 2013

Left over apples

This morning I noticed I had four apples left  in the fruit bowl, tomorrow will be my shopping day and because I'll be buying fresh fruit for the coming week, I knew I would have to do something with these.  I  decided the easiest thing to do was  to cook them with a little sugar and I would store them in the fridge, but, you know how it is, once you start to think about it all sorts of things come to mind.    As I was cutting the apples  I realised I still had plenty of butter,  I had some dried apricots and
some dried sultanas.   If I made a pastry I could make a pie, then again what about a fruit roll.  With the decision made I found my pastry recipe, added the dried apricots and sultanas to the cooking apple, once they were cooked I set aside to cool and worked on the pastry.  While this was cooking in the oven, I had enough pastry over to make some jam tarts, these will be good for the grandsons tomorrow after school.

Fruit Roll:
 Peel, core and slice four apples, I used a mix of granny smith and pink lady, add a few chopped dried apricots and a small handful of sultanas, 1 tablespoon of sugar and a little water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the apples are soft.  Cool. (I don't like very sweet, so if you like, add more sugar)



Pastry:                      200g plain flour
                                200g butter
                                80-90mls of ice cold water
                                Place the flour and butter in the food processor and pulse until it looks like large breadcrumbs, slowly add the water, depending on the flour you may need more or less, until it comes together.  Roll out into a rectangle and then place into the fridge for 30 minutes.  Add the filling along the long side of the rectangle, brush the edges with some egg wash and carefully roll away from you while tucking the sides in. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with caster sugar and sprinkle a little cinnamon over. Bake in a hot oven 200 celcius for about 25-30 minutes.  Serve with custard or fresh cream,  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment