Thursday 4 July 2013

Baking for the weekend

With my son and his family staying over the weekend I have the perfect excuse to turn on the oven and bake. With two little boys here, and their cousins calling in over the weekend to visit them, I think the perfect thing to bake will be cookies.  I decided to cut the dough into stars, when they cooled I then drizzled them with chocolate.   Of course I need something for the adults to have with a cuppa as well, I decided  a rich chocolate brownie would be yummy as well as some jam drops, I have baked jam drops before and you can find the recipe here I have been taste testing all afternoon and have decided the brownies are the most decadent I have ever baked, so yummy.     I'm just hoping my daughter will bring the orange and rhubarb cake that she baked for afternoon tea a couple of weeks ago, it was really good.    So if you are looking for something to do with all the rhubarb you have growing I think you should bake her orange and rhubarb cake which you can find here, she is a wonderful baker and has some yummy things on her blog.




 Brownies:
1 cup (250g) butter, melted and cooled
 3 eggs
 1 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 cup (220g) sugar
1 cup (230g) firmly packed soft brown sugar
3/4 cup (90g) cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsps baking powder

In a large bowl, combine butter, eggs and vanilla.  Combine flours, sugars, cocoa and baking powder; gradually add to the butter mixture.  Stir until combined but do not overmix.
Spread mixture into a greased, or line with baking paper 33cm x 23cm baking tin.  Bake at 180C for about 30 minutes or until skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean.  cool in tin for 10mins and then on a wire rack.   I used chocolate cream cheese frosting and grated milk chocolate for the topping.
Enjoy.

Brownies,  Jam drops and  Butter cookie stars

No comments:

Post a Comment