Thursday 25 April 2013

A sweet treat

This afternoon I had a sweet craving, this is a little unusual because I do not really like sweet things, I prefer savoury, chips, dips, nuts, cheese anything salty, crunchy.   While staying with my son and his family, my daughter-in-law, who is a big cheese fan, actually I think she would agree if I said a cheese addict hee hee, she loves all soft cheeses and like me has just discovered a taste for blue cheeses, not a strong cheese, after all we have just started to enjoy the merits of blue cheese.    I have had a little craving for this particular blue cheese since I came home,  and I am going to have to ask her the brand.   Anyway back on the sweet track, I had nothing in the house to satisfy this need, I was going to have to bake something.    I have a recipe that has been used a lot in my family, Chocolate, Mocha, Walnut slice, quick check in the pantry, only powdered cocoa, no worries I had everything else.  I will just have to have the patience to wait for this to bake and cool down before I can have a slice.  Once cooled I spread some icing over the top and before it was set had to have a sample.  The rest of this is going to my son and grandsons, just in case I decide to finish it off.

Chocolate, Mocha, Walnut slice

1 cup chopped walnuts
125gm butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 Tbls instant coffee ( I had  Moccona Hazelnut instant I used)
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup choc bits ( or 1 tablespoon powdered cocoa)

Preheat oven to 160c Line a lamington slice tin with baking paper

Melt chocolate bits and butter, add coffee (if using the powdered cocoa stir the choc and coffee with a tablespoon of hot water then add to the butter mix).  Pour into a bowl with sugar, egg, vanilla.  Sift flour, add walnuts and flour, mix till combined, spread onto tray and bake for 30 mins. Leave in tin to cool and then ice or spread with chocolate.  Great with a coffee

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Taneesha, and to think the original recipe is from a childrens cookbook given to you as a child, how many times have we baked this recipe?

      Delete