Wednesday 13 March 2013

Patchwork and embroidery

In 1997 I answered an advertisement in the newspaper that asked for women interested in patchwork and quilting to attend a meeting in my local area.   That was the beginning of my love of all things patchwork and quilting, actually my love of all things fabric, needles and cotton.   Seven women attended that initial meeting, this number grew over time and became over sixty.    I was very active within this group and loved every role I had within the group, from organising the annual quilt-in, the annual retreat, being on the commitee and President for two years.   Then in 2008 I became unwell, my doctor thought it was my thyroid acting up and increased my medication,  I slowly became worse, so much so that I lost a lot of weight and began to close myself off from the outside world.    It was at this time I left the quilting group, I was not able to participate and thought it was better to leave.   I was diagnosed with Addisons disease in 2011 another autoimmune disease, since being on medication I have gradually put on weight and become the person I used to be.  I have also become enthusiastic about patchwork and quilting again,  I have gone through my cupboards and found all the UFI's that were hidden within.    It has been my goal to complete everything that was left unfinished, as well as new quilts for my little grandsons.   I took a big step today, I attended the group I had been a member of for eleven years, and had not attended for the past five years, it was good to be welcomed back.    This week I am finishing a quilt by Leanne Beasley ( an Aussie designer) called Leannes House, it is full of embroidery, applique and patchwork.    I was surprised to find that I have only two blocks left to finish the top of this beautiful quilt, then it will be ready for quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment